Monday, June 10, 2013

Jeju Island

I just returned from a weekend trip to Jeju Island, which people call Korea's Hawaii. Unfortunately, it was raining and chilly for most of the time I was there, but I had the opportunity to see a little scenery and eat a LOT of good food!

I'll let the photos speak for themselves:
First stop: Aquarium. It was built last year and is supposedly the largest aquarium in all of Asia. Don't quote me on that though. The aquarium doesn't have as many species of marine animals as some aquariums in America, but it was still enjoyable. They had penguins, pelicans, jellyfish, walrus, dolphins,...it took ~1 hour to get through all of the exhibits. Great for kids I think!

The largest tank at Aqua Planet

Jeju Island

Igneous rock? Haha, trying to remember my elementary school education.

Ecoland: You take a train around the park and can explore some great scenery!

Ecoland

Sashimi!! There are two things I hear you have to try when you're at Jeju: Sashimi and Pork.

Fish Stew



Korean sausage (Soondae) filled with rice

Tofu stew (Soondubu)


Hydrangeas: They are all over the Island


Osulloc green tea farm!

Green tea goods at Osulloc tea farm

Osulloc tea farm

Osulloc green tea farm: I learned that the dried green tea leaves that I drink are only the tiny leaves. The bigger leaves aren't as flavorful.

The market where we went to get our pork for barbecuing!

Bijarim forest: Has trees that are 1000 years old. The wood from the trees is very valuable and used to make GO (Baduk) boards.


A beach we stopped at on our way to the Airport.
 My Jeju trip was more child-friendly since we had my two nieces with me, but if I ever come back, I definitely want to do some long hikes and spelunking (caving)!

3 comments: